Amendments to Criteria for Issuing a TOCFL Listening and Reading Certificate
Former criteria for issuing a TOCFL Listening and Reading Certificate:
1. A certificate at a given level will be awarded if the test taker achieves a passing score at that level for both the listening test and the reading test.
2. If the test taker achieves a passing score for the two tests but at different levels, a Listening and Reading Certificate will be awarded at the lower level.
3. No certificate will be awarded if the test taker only achieves a passing score for one of the two tests.
The amended criteria set out below apply to all official TOCFL tests, starting at the beginning of 2020:
1. Minimum score requirements have been set for each test at each level of Band A, Band B, and Band C. If so, their scores are added together and
the total forms the basis for whether a Listening and Reading certificate is issued. The minimum score requirements and total scores required are shown
in Table 1.
2. A test taker who takes the Listening and Reading tests on the same day will beawarded a Listening and Reading certificate at a particular level if:
(1) they meet the minimum score requirement for each test; and (2) their total score meets the total score requirement for that level.
3. Novice level Listening and Reading tests only have a total score requirement. To encourage participation, the separate Novice level Listening tests and
Reading tests do not have a minimum score requirement.